Our work would be impossible without the generosity of our dedicated and skilled volunteers, in terms of both the time they give and their commitment to helping others. At Stonepillow every volunteer is valued and provided with guidance and training.
Whether you're interested in helping out with office admin, working in our charity shops, supporting us during a fundraising event or helping our clients to develop new skills, volunteering with Stonepillow is a great way to develop your skills and meet new people. You will also be helping to make a difference to the lives of homeless and vulnerable people in Chichester, Bognor Regis and Littlehampton.
Reasons to Volunteer
Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to volunteer, but if you’re wondering why you might want to give some of your time and become part of the Stonepillow team, then read on.
- A chance to work in a friendly team, to make new friends, socialise and meet a diverse group of people
- An exciting time to become part of a growing local charity
- The opportunity to make an invaluable contribution to our work in supporting homeless people
- The time to develop your confidence and interpersonal skills
- The chance to gain valuable transferable skills and work experience
- A way to boost your CV – employers may look at what you do with your extra time
- A way to give something back to your local community
- The chance to help others less fortunate than you
In our bid to end homelessness, we require volunteers at all levels of our organisation, delivering different kinds of support to our staff and clients.
We are always interested to find out if there are people out there who have a particular skill set which can help us to improve the way we work, add additional value, or help us solve a problem.
Some of the roles that our amazing volunteers can get involved in include:
- Volunteering in our charity shops in Chichester and Bognor – we are always looking for sales assistants, people to sort through donations, van drivers to collect and deliver furniture and many more roles.
- Volunteer at our Events – we have a busy and exciting events calendar throughout the year, and are always grateful for volunteers who are able to represent us at our events, helping us with preparation and supporting us to make our events extra-special. Take a look at some of the upcoming events you could get involved
- Volunteer in our Head Office – our busy head office is the place to come if you’d like to support us on the operational side of things. Get involved in our PR and events team, or support the Admin and HR teams in the day-to-day running of Stonepillow.
- Volunteer in our Hubs and Hostels – our aim is to support our clients towards living independently, equipping them with the skills they need to get there. We are looking for volunteers who are able to run sessions or training for clients that may help them on their journey. This could be anything from maths and English skills, cookery, DIY, domestic skills, health and wellbeing, sports, social skills, career guidance – the possibilities are endless.
We are interested in hearing how you think we may be able to work together. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you think you can help us.
Become a Volunteer
If you think you would like to become a volunteer for Stonepillow, please download our Application Form. Completed application forms can be sent to email@example.com or posted to Stonepillow Head Office, St Joseph’s, Hunston Road, Chichester, PO20 1NP.
We will require two character reference details to be supplied. By submitting your application form, you’re giving us permission to contact the references you have supplied.
Stonepillow is compliant with General Data Protection Regulations. Any personal information such as name, postal address, telephone number, emergency contact details and email address given in your application will only be used to keep in touch with you about volunteering opportunities with Stonepillow. It will be stored securely, and will not be disclosed to any other third party without your prior permission or unless we are required to do so by law.
What happens next?
Once we have received your form and taken up references, you’ll be invited to attend one of our monthly volunteer meetings. Here, you’ll be given an introduction to Stonepillow, discuss what areas you might like to be involved in, and take part in volunteer training.
Once you’ve taken part in the meeting, you’ll be included on our regular requests for volunteering roles at Stonepillow.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will support you during your time as a Stonepillow volunteer, and there will be regular opportunities to take part in extra training and volunteer events.
We look forward to welcoming our new volunteers on board, and are very grateful for your support and time. We could not run our services without you.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
We have the following opportunities available:
Volunteer Street Collectors
We are looking for confident, friendly people willing to street collect for us. We are searching for street collectors to help us raise funds for our appeals across West Sussex. Our street collections are usually one or two hour slots, unless you want to do longer! If you feel more comfortable buddying up with someone, that is absolutely fine! We will just need an application form from each person.
Van assistant (Chichester)
We are looking for a volunteer to join our team at Restore and help with collecting donations and delivering purchased items. The role will include going out in the van and assisting the driver with heavy lifting. This role may include client participation as it is a fantastic opportunity for our clients to learn new skills. We are particularly in need on Thursdays & Fridays.
Sales Assistant (Bognor Regis)
Stonepillow has a large retail warehouse and a high street charity shop; selling predominantly furniture, white goods and electrical products, run with the assistance of clients and other volunteers. The role will include maintaining high levels of merchandising and housekeeping whilst managing the stock process to ensure correct density levels and stock rotation. This role will involve client participation.
Group Session Leader
Do you have skills you can teach our clients? We are currently looking for volunteers to come and run workshops with our clients which could be anything from cooking to art therapy. Our Chichester Hub is open 7 days a week and gives not only our clients, but also any rough sleepers, somewhere warm and safe to go through the day. If you think you have a skill that is transferable, please get in contact! This role will involve client participation.
We are searching for a volunteer hairdresser to come and provide our clients with a new style! We are looking for someone with hairdressing experience to volunteer for us across our properties in Chichester, Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. This role will involve client participation.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for one of these positions please download our application form and email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like any more information please call us on 01243 537934